Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hodge Podge

I don't even know if that's how you spell "hodge podge".  Oh well.  I'm feeling inspired and very self-aware and aware of the state of things around me tonight, so I'm just gonna let it all spill out.  It's going to be an amalgam of ideas and feelings, so here goes.

I'm getting old.  Not in mind, not really in body, and not even in spirit.  I'm getting old compared to my surroundings and the environments I place myself in.  My mind is very young and sharp and has a very deep thirst for knowledge still.  I try my best to keep my body young and strong.  And my spirit has been more refreshed lately than it has been in quite some time.  It's the physical world I have become accustomed to that I am outgrowing.

I am quickly realizing that I am "uncool".  It's laughable to me to say that about myself, but I am beginning to view myself that way.  And it's fine with me!  The things I love are still with me and ever-changing.  And if that means my tastes and desires in life leave some behind then so be it.  WOW that is a very smug and self-righteous sounding thing to say.  I absolutely don't mean it that way. 

I am working on being less of a music and movies snob.  I am coming to the realization that it isn't really one music that is better than any other kind of music.  It's really the reaction that that certain genre of music inspires in you.  If your music makes you feel inside the same way that mine does, then good for you.  Great music can almost be a supernatural experience, and if you have found that, then who the hell am I to tell you mine is better??  I apologize to all you country music listeners.  Do your thing.

Movies are a bit easier to categorize and put in order of excellence.  If you don't appreciate what Quinton Terrantino does, then poop on you (there's my childish mind coming out).  Movies that are made great by special effects are not the movies on the top of the list.  Just recently, I re-watched "Dead Man", and old black and white movie starring Johnny Depp.  I was introduced to this movie in my youth, along with countless other students at Huntingdon, by my favorite professor there, Greg Salyer.  It changed me, and still does.  If you like anything written by William Blake, then this movie is for you.  Neil Young does the soundtrack, also.  I tracked down Dr. Salyer.  I say tracked down like it was difficult.  I didn't put my head to the ground and listen for hooves or smell the groung and broken twigs.  I asked facebook and it told me.  Well I've had the best time just quoting "Dead Man" lines back and forth with him through e-mail. 

So this growing up and becoming uncool is an absolute good thing.  My tastes are growing and changing and evolving.  I am becoming a man.  But not the type of man I imagined as a boy.  Not the type of man my father is or my grandfather was (although they are/were great men).  I'm a different kind of man.  I'm not afraid of showing love, I'm not afraid of loving the arts, and I crave knowledge.  This is the new kind of man coming along these days....I think.  Who knows.  I like it.  Getting this thing back on track.

Here is some music for your personal enjoyment.  Sorry if you don't like it.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...