Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Blog Blog Blah

Ok I have to write something.  I talked to an awesome person last night about this, so here we go. 

I have this new obsession in my life.  It's called obstacle racing.  Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder.....maybe some of these sound familiar, and maybe you know what they are.  BUT....it's hard to know what they are like and how exhilarating it is to finish them without actually running one.  They are tough, but more than that, they are fun.  People of all ages, sizes, weights and ages come together, not so much to compete, but to take part in this amazing experience.  Now, of course there are those who run these with one goal in mind...to win.  There are even more, and I would say the majority, who run these races for the atmosphere, the community, and the challenge. 

There are all kinds of races, with many levels of difficulty, but most come in the 5k variety, making it very completable for the average person.  People come dressed in costumes, with team shirts on, or just in shorts and running shoes.  Most races give you a beer at the end, along with a medal and a t shirt.  I'd say the party at the end is the best, most enjoyable part.  You are surrounded by hundreds, sometimes thousands, of people, all covered in mud, dog tired, and drinking a beer.  Most races have a DJ, some have live bands playing music at the end.  There is nothing like the finish line finally coming into view.  And there, just past the Finish line, are hundreds of people dancing and cheering for their friends. 

This community is what has me hooked.  The obstacle racing crowd is a totally different kind of group.  People looking for more than the monotony of a road race is the kind of person you'll find here.  These are people who love nothing more than diving into the mud and crawling under barbed wire, climbing ropes, crawling through tunnels, and jumping over walls and fire.  Some come just to say they finished, but then they can't get enough.  I'm upset if I don't have a race EVERY saturday.  It's disappointing to say the least.  I've even booked a flight to Miami for the end of February for a Super Spartan. 

I know this was different than my usual sarcastic, comedic crap, but I just wanted to share something that has become a huge part of my life.  If you watch this video and STILL aren't motivated to do something like this, then check your pulse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...